The most frequent comment that families make in thank you cards or on our satisfaction surveys is that they wish they had come to hospice sooner.
It is a common misconception that hospice is only for the last few days of life when in fact, hospice can be of the greatest benefit when initiated early on. Because we do not have the Medicare restrictions of a six month prognosis, we can see patients early in their disease and help navigate the physical, emotional and spiritual paths the patient and families walk.
Remember, you can raise the option of hospice care to your physician. If you are considering hospice but unsure if it is time, here are some signs that might be of help.
1. Does it seem that treatment is no longer helping?
2. Are there repeated visits to the ER or hospital?
3. Is there an increase in shortness of breath, fatigue, pain, or nausea?
4. Are activities of daily living becoming increasingly difficult?
5. Is the process of care-giving becoming overwhelming?
If you would like more information about how hospice can help, we are available anytime to arrange a visit to explain our services and answer any questions you may have. Please call us at 508-693-0189.